Matse takes us back to our roots with her scrumptious Ewhobobo with groundnut soup and Agbalumo juice. A traditional meal packaged in a modern way.
Delicious soup made from roasted groundnut paste cooked with an assortment of meats and spices.
- 2 cups of roasted groundnut
- 3 cooking spoons of vegetable/olive oil
- 1/2 medium sliced onion
- 1 small tin of tinned tomato paste
- An assortment of meat (tripe, cow leg, beef, abode, roundabout, ponmo etc.)
- Smoked fish (if using)
- Dried pepper (Cayenne pepper)
- 2 heaped tablespoons of crayfish
- 2 roasted iwo/erhe
- Seasoning cubes
- Blend roasted groundnuts in the dry mill of your blender, then transfer to the liquid blender and grind until it forms a very smooth paste.
- In a pre-heated pot, add oil and the onion slices. Fry until translucent and not brown.
- Pour in the groundnut past and cook for 10 minutes making sure to stir frequently to avoid burning
Then add the tinned tomato paste.
- Add dried pepper and mix nicely, then follow up with the cooked meats and the stock.
5. Add the blended crayfish and stir.
- Finally, roast the iwo/erhe over direct flame and throw into the cooking pot. Cook for a few more minutes and serve.
- * Serve warm.
- * You can add less than a handful of washed bitter leaves, scent leaves or pumpkin leaves at the end of the cooking if you wish.
Eghwobobo (Eba with Plantain Swallow
Eba deliciously mixed with cooked plantain.
- 1 very ripe plantain
- 1 cup of garri
- Water to cook.
- Peel and cook plantain with water.
- Prepare garri with hot water and set aside.
- Drain plantain and pound in a mortar, yam pounder or food processor.
- When done, add the eba (cooked garri). Blend together until smooth.
- * Serve warm.
Add a bit of the water used for cooking the plantain to get the consistency you want while pounding.
Agbalumo (African star apple) drink
Agbalumo drink sweetened with honey.
- 4 Agbalumo (African star apples)
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 cup of water/ soda water
- Wash and squeeze out the juice from the fruit, adding the flesh and a cup of water/soda water into the blender. Discard the seeds.
- Blend, add the honey, then blend some more.
- Strain into a glass containing ice and serve.
* Gently hit the fruit on a hard surface before squeezing. It allows you get out more juice.