African-Americans told to tune out Oscars

Jan 28, 2016 A Los Angeles chapter of Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network recently decided to move forward with its plans to boycott this year’s Oscars.

Speaking at a news briefing, Ali Najee, one of the group’s organizers expressed his frustration over the Academy’s failure to nominate any colored actors for the second year in a row.

“Our attitude is that if African-Americans are not going to be part of the telecast, being nominated or getting an award, than why should African-Americans watch and support a ceremony that seems to lack diversity and inclusion of African-Americans and other minorities,”

While the group said it’s impressed by the recent efforts of Academy’s effort to double the organization’s membership of women and minorities by 2020, they insisted that the boycott must till take effect.

Civil rights activist, Earl Ofari Hutchinson said:

“Tune out of boycott must go into effect…We appreciate what the Academy has done so far, but understand one thing, it is still just a promise to make change. We still haven’t seen an implementation to change right now. That was the call, without that implementation of change, with a zero scorecard of African-Americans, Hispanics and Asians, receiving any award consideration at the Academy there is no reason to tune in, but there is every reason for millions of people to tune out boycott.”

Actor Will Smith and director Spike Lee have announced plans to shun the Oscars. There has also been an ongoing debate on whether host Chris Rock should also step down.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *