Mother’s Day and Mothering Facts
- • The youngest mother on record was Lina Medina, who delivered a 6½-pound boy by cesarean section in Lima, Peru in 1939, at the age of 5 years and 7 months.
- • About 4 million women will have babies this year.
- • August is the most popular month in which to have a baby.
- • Last year flowers were more popular than Mother’s Day gifts and cards.
- • There are more phone calls made on Mother’s Day than on any other day of the year.
- • The number of people calling their moms on Mother’s Day has declined in recent years due to e-mail and other electronic means of communication.
- • Mother’s Day is the third-largest card-sending holiday.
- Mother’s Day is the busiest day of the year for restaurants.