AU backs proposal to withdraw from ICC, accuses the hague of double standards
Feb 02, 2016 During the 26th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union, leaders from across the continent recently called for the withdrawal of the AU from the International Criminal Court.
The organization adopted, without amendments, a proposal by Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta to develop a roadmap for withdrawal from the Rome Statute of the ICC.
The Africa Union Chairperson and Chadian president Idriss Deby said the organization needed to re-examine its relationship with The Hague.
Speaking to this effect, Deby said:
“What we noticed and observed is that the ICC focuses much more on African leaders, African heads of state and even sitting African presidents whereas elsewhere in the world A lot of things have taken place. Many violations of human rights, blatant ones. Blatant violations are perpetrated elsewhere but nobody speaks about it, and therefore there are double standards here. This is why we decided to harmonize our positions in regards to the ICC and see whether the ICC could understand the importance of the position the African Union holds,”
Regarding the situation in Burundi, the AU’s Peace and Security Council had earlier announced plans to deploy a 5,000-strong force to Burundi amid concerns of ethnic conflict. However, the plan was swiftly rejected by Burundi.
The bloc also warned that it would invoke a provision in its charter that allows a force to be sent against the will of a host country if there was a risk of serious violence, such as genocide.
Some African states have however opposed the plan saying could be seen as an invasion.
Burundi, who is facing its worst crisis since an ethnically charged civil war ended in 2005, was high on the agenda of the two-day AU summit.