Foreign forces entering Syria would end up 'in coffins': FM
Feb 10, 2016 In response to reports that Saudi Arabia and Bahrain are gearing up to send troops to Syria to fight against extremist groups, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem recently fired a warning saying that any foreign force entering Syria will return home in wooden coffins.
Speaking at a press conference in Damascus, Minister Walid al-Moallem said:
“The continued defeats of their agents have made them give up on agents and instead plan to take over the fight by themselves. Here is my warning: Any troops that invade Syrian territory will end up going home in wooden coffins,”
Commenting on the Syrian government’s preparations for the UN-backed peace talks, he said:
“The Syrian government is willing to participate in dialogue between Syrians. We will not ask any preconditions of any other side, and for now it is still too early to make a final decision on whether we will participate in the negotiation. We will consider it, but I am not the only one who will make the decision,”
UN special envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura had earlier announced the suspension of the talks three days after they were started, citing inadequate preparations from both sides.